Tuesday 13 January 2015

A New Year Begins 2015

It's been a long time since I've done an update, but that was because there has been a lot going on in the background that needed to be resolved before I knew what this update was going to be.

There was a strong possibility that I was going to have to rename this blog from Adelaide Betta to Townsville Betta. An opportunity arrived which may have led to the whole family moving north but the numbers didn't add up and so it has been shelved for the foreseeable future.

Due to us figuring out if we were moving or not, breeding programs were also put on hold. Pairs scheduled to spawn are yet to have their chance in the honeymoon suite. This will be rectified from early next week.

Current state of play:

Originally I had two green lines running side-by-side, but one of the F2 generations didn't pan out. I have, however, been keeping a F1 female from that line - a little green dragon girl I quite liked and couldn't bring myself to let go. So now I'm going to cross her with a F2 male from the second green line. It is a small step back in progressing to true CTPK's but I keep the genes in the green pool, and reduce the amount of lines I've got on the go.

My recessive line is looking promising, except I seem to be lacking male plakats from the F2 spawn. I do seem to have a few choices of female plakats though. I'll match one of those up with a male from my DTPK spawn. I also seem to have the beginnings of a green pastel line...need to think about whether to pursue that one or not...

Black Orchid plakat line is looking good and ready to go onto F3...or have DT introduced...

White DTPK spawn is almost matured - maybe another month before being fully cooked...which is fine as I'd rather only have a couple of spawns going at any one time with only a partial overlap.

Next move(s):

Green Line F1 female x F2 male...if not successful, F2 male will be crossed with sibling for F3.
Recessive F2 x DT (yet to decide on which sex from which spawn).

Sell excess fish from Recessive and DTPK spawns (February).

Spawn Black Orchids in March.

Have a break....start again :)

Heading away for the next few days, but I'll be looking to setup my spawns and take photos of the fish next week...stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment